If like us you’ve Marie Kondo’d your way through the house and rediscovered your fabulous costume jewelry — that does indeed spark joy — the next step is to organize and display it where you can see it and wear it. Everything in fashion comes around again so, now that you have decided which items to keep following your wardrobe declutter, rather than buying a whole new wardrobe of accessories, celebrate your style by punctuating your wardrobe with jewelry you already own.
Having things organized saves time when you’re getting ready each morning and planning outfits for special occasions. Follow our tips to organize your jewelry and make the most of your collection.
1. Keep it Simple
If you haven’t already done so, first do a look through of your jewelry to clear out items that no longer spark joy and you’re unlikely to wear again.
2. Store Like With Like
Separate your remaining jewelry into sub-categories, such as necklaces/earrings/bangles etc. and look to storing each of these groups in separate containers to make it easier to choose the perfect accessory, on top of your makeup table or in drawers.
3. Store it Where You Can See it
Organize each group into its own container that fits everything and displays all items at once. For smaller items like earrings and rings, use a container with plenty of dividers for small spaces, for larger pieces such as bangles, something like a sock or drawer organizer works well.
4. Invest in Purpose-Built (or Bought) Storage
Specialty jewelry storage trays are available in stores and online (Buy on Amazon, $25.90). Alternatively, use drawer dividers or sewing or tackle boxes for tiny items to keep them paired and in order.
5. Make it Pretty
For your favorite, often-worn items, consider making an attractive display with them as part of your room decor.
6. Think Outside the Square
If you love something, find a way to make it work in your wardrobe. “I still believe in mismatched earrings,” Moda Operandi women’s fashion director Lisa Aiken told Marie Claire. “It’s not necessarily new news, but it feels more modern than wearing two giant matching earrings. It’s got more of an edge. Plus, they were all over the spring 2019 runways, still.”
Top 3 Tips for Reusing Jewelry You Already Own
- Tap into the mis-matched jewelry trend.
- Look to shells, pearls, and beads. Shells are making a strong return in fashion jewelry. Accessorize by mixing old pearls with new by layering more delicate pieces with chunky statement shells.
- Reuse your summer vacation wardrobe. Take your beachy bracelets to the office by teaming a shell bracelet with a sharp blazer, or a statement piece of costume jewelry with a simple, crisp linen shirt.
- After a clean sweep and an afternoon of organization, you may find your wardrobe sparks joy for you, all over again.
This article originally appeared on our sister site, Homes to Love.